Saturday, October 6, 2007

Way Down Yonder in the Pumpkin Patch




October has always been my favorite month. Most of my life it was because of my birthday and that I've been lucky to live in places where the change from summer to fall makes for beautiful scenery. But now it's because of the boys. Today we made our annual trip to the pumpkin patch. We've done it every year since CSR was a baby no matter whether it was raining and muddy or sunny and beautiful. Come to think of it, I don't think it's ever been sunny for one of these trips. Anyway, the pumpkin-pie-slice of farm life is so much fun. We went through our first corn maze. It took us a half an hour to get all confused, turned around and inadvertently back where we started from. We never even made it to the half way point. I have to hand it to the designer of Bob's Corn Maze--it was a tricky one.

The big fun was going through the pumpkin patch. There were pumpkins of all shapes, sizes and colors. It was hard to choose-- a white Ghost pumpkin, a funky Cinderella pumpkin, or the standard orange. CSR found a great one--I'm sure papa will have fun trying to get all the guts cleaned out of it. CSR was so sweet picking a baby one out for RTR.

This also added to the realization in trying to give son #2 similar experiences as #1, he might be getting short-changed. Years from now I will have to explain to him why his big brother has dozens of pictures from his first pumpkin patch trip (or visit to the fair, airplane trip, etc) while he has considerably less--and most include that big brother. I don't expect to be able to give RTR the same-- but I'm trying to be as balanced as possible. At least not everything he wears is a hand-me-down.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Great pictures Karen...I love the pumpkin patch too! What sweet boys you have!