Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Crawling with Frustration


The big challenge in our house right now is crawling. It's a lesson in frustration-- from both RTR's perspective and mine. RTR will end up on his tummy from a sitting position, but so far, squeals when he wants me to rescue him. He will also wake up crying and when I go check on him, he's on his tummy in his crib, needing to be flipped back over.

My worry is that he'll skip crawling and start walking. He already loves to motor around the house holding onto my fingers. Good for him, not so good for my back. Some research shows a lack of crawling MAY predict some later learning problems. The teacher in our Baby n' Me class had some great suggestions-- to spend more time with him on the floor. She pointed out it can be pretty boring being at floor level and then looking up at everyone else several feet above. Also to do more distal movements-- right hand, left leg, etc. with him. So far, RTR has spent more tummy time on the floor and CSR and I have joined him too. Hopefully that will help (at least me and my worries). But no real crawling yet.

No comments: