Friday, December 28, 2007

The Seven Month Stretch



At seven months, I think RTR and I are finally figuring things out. Napping is getting better. No longer is it a 20 minute song and dance--literally-- to get him to fall asleep for a 30 minute nap. This week I've also been able to avoid swinging him in his carseat to get him to fall asleep. Which is a good thing because not only is it truly a pain but he's about to outgrow the seat and the next size up stays in the car. I do have to give some credit to one of his Christmas presents-- the Ocean Wonders Aquarium (thanks to Suzanne for the suggestion and Aunt Lins for the gift). If he's in the right state of mind, I can just put him in his crib, turn on the aquarium and he's soon asleep-- probably shouldn't go on and on about this because I'll jinx it or it will turn out to be a fluke.



In an earlier post, I worried he was a picky eater. Apparently this too gets better with age and some predictability on my part. He's up to eating solids three times a day and gobbles it up pretty well. His first taste of peaches seemed to have perplexed him though. I even made him some homemade baby food with carrots and cauliflower from Christmas Eve dinner. I hesitated to give him the broccoli--why don't they make broccoli baby food? He likes to participate more in meal times... grabbing the spoon and putting it in his mouth himself. Maybe this will be one of the pluses to "Second Child Syndrome"-- he'll have better table manners than his older brother who still seems to think most everything is finger food.

After nearly two months of waiting and trying on my part, RTR is sitting up on his own--most of the time. I still put the Boppy behind him if I am going to leave him for a couple of minutes. The hardwood floor is pretty hard on the noggin. Not sure what to do when he tips forward. So far he hasn't hurt himself-- I just make sure if I do leave him, there are only soft toys in front of him.

We had to retire the crib mobile. RTR figured out how to arch his back in just the right way so he can reach up and grab the legs of the animal hanging down the lowest. I have to admit it was fascinating to watch. Kinda sad too as it's another sign that he's getting older-- even if his age is still measured in months.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a gorgeous guy he is! That smile is going to break some hearts someday!

Unknown said...

Hi Sweet Family,

I so loved the reading going on to RR! He was so happy listening to the expressive, leg crossing reading going on! I think CR also has a future in photography as well!! Those guys are so lucky to have a mama like you!