Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I (heart) Farmer's Markets

We're pretty fortunate to live in an area where farmer's markets are so plentiful. Pretty much on any given day of the week, you can find one. We've been to the Lake City Farmer's Market in the past couple of weeks. What better place for the boys to get the best kind of free samples-- peaches, berries, apples, cheese, fresh baked bread. RTR even ended up with an inadvertent sample-- grabbing an apple from a box while I shopped at one booth. I didn't realize he had the apple until after I had paid for my produce and was off to another booth. When I returned to where the apple had been lifted, the people running it were gracious and thought it was cute. They were also amazed RTR was enjoying such a tart apple. He ate practically the whole thing-- I retrieved the stem and seeds from his juicy hands and chin.

I've got a little food anxiety-- if you haven't noticed. I recently read (most of) Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food," where he talks about how most of the items in our grocery stores aren't really food-- but food-like substances and how it got to be that way. I like his call to eat food, mostly plants. Also, never eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize. Have you ever read the ingredients list on the food in your cupboard? I try not to buy anything with more than ten ingredients or with ingredients I can't easily identify. What is hydrolized food starch or dough conditioner? There was an article in today's paper about new food labeling rules that must state what country the food comes from. Not only a good idea for people trying to eat foods grown closer to home, but also for anyone wanting to avoid food from countries with suspect hygiene or poor quality control-- Chinese melamine anyone? Cadbury had to recall or pull candy made with Chinese milk products because of melamine.

No comments: