Monday, December 1, 2008

Reading is Fundamental


I can't believe my luck. We checked out a "Books to Grow On" theme kit on manners from the library. When it came due, I couldn't find one of the 12 books that came in the kit. I looked high and low, inside, outside, every possible place I could think of. I made CSR look for it too, even denying him a trip to the library when he couldn't find the book either. The librarian told me I could hold onto the kit a little longer in hopes the book would turn up. So I waited, accruing ten cent a day fines for nearly a month. And then having $200 for the kit billed to my overdue fines account. Last Monday, I decided to take one more look around, checking the kit case before returning it to the library and paying for the lost book. As I counted the books again, I noticed a small label on the inside lid of the case. It said "Missing 12/2007 No! David", the exact book I had been looking for for the past month! I couldn't believe it. Boy did I feel foolish. On the bright side, when I told my story to the librarian at the desk, she kindly knocked half the amount of the overdue amount for the kit.

No comments: