Friday, July 11, 2008

Hello, I'm a Fruitetarian


I think I'm inadvertently raising a fruitetarian (someone who subsists on a fruit based diet). If you want to make RTR happy at mealtime, throw some fruit on his high chair tray. He is especially partial to strawberries. While I'm putting groceries in the fridge, if he spots strawberries in there, he makes a serious bee-line for them. He figured out how to step up on the inside of the base of the refrigerator to reach the shelves to pull out the berry container. If he sees that I've got the berries out, he will make all these noises-- grunts, squeals, whatever it takes to get those berries in his belly! At a recent lunchtime picnic at the park, he was climbing all over me and the lunch stuff, clawing his way into the cooler to get at the bowl of strawberries inside. Of course, we're now contending with a bit of a problem as he doesn't seem to want to eat any veggies, pasta or meat. Or at least I haven't found the right combination to appeal to him lately. Unless of course, it's what the rest of us are having at the table after RTR has been cleaned up and taken out of the high chair (he seems to be ready to eat a half an hour before I've got dinner ready for everyone). RTR is also a fiend for yogurt (with fruit of course). The latest favorite snack is graham crackers dipped in yogurt. He cracks me up the way he'll point out in his own way that he's run out of crackers for the remaining yogurt. Again, probably my own fault for introducing this to him. So much for a balanced diet. I wonder if he'd go for chicken with strawberries on top? Maybe grilled peaches and steak?

No comments: