Monday, July 14, 2008

In A Jam


This afternoon after we got home from a trip to the zoo, CSR wanted a snack. Since I didn't have the energy to cater to his whims, I suggested he could make a snack we'd just read about. We've been reading "Henry Huggins" by Beverly Cleary-- a big kids kind of chapter book. In one chapter, Henry comes home from school and makes himself a snack-- graham crackers with peanut butter, jam and pickle relish. CSR was up for it, getting out all the ingredients plus the bottle of maple syrup. Using a butter knife (a shiny knife as CSR calls it), he fixed up two graham cracker sandwiches. After refusing the bite he offered me, CSR promptly ate them all up. I'm sure the sugary syrup made it that much more delicious.

I didn't think much about the concoction until later-- when I got my own snack after dinner. I scooped up a bowl of Tillamook Vanilla Bean and added a couple dollups of the strawberry jam I had made yesterday. As I ate my strawberry sundae, I realized there was more to the topping than just strawberries. There were also flecks of pickle relish. I guess that's what I get for letting a 5 year old make his own snack. It was also my idea, so I only have myself to blame for the strawberry-pickle relish jam. Luckily it's a small jar and probably won't last long. Maybe it will be good on waffles in the morning.

No comments: