Sunday, August 10, 2008

More on Grandma's Visit

I just got home today from taking my 99 year old grandma to my aunt's house in Vancouver, WA. Grandma's visit was going great until last Friday. While finishing up her shower, she fell-- pretty much a free fall from standing to the hard ceramic tile floor. Oh my gosh, I don't think I've ever been so scared. I was standing right there too to help her with her shower. I had to call 911 and since I left the house phone outside, I used my cell phone, which was thankfully in my pocket. The dispatcher sent medics... but it seemed like they took forever, while my poor disoriented grandma just wanted to get up off the floor. I tried not to panic and remain calm for not only my sake but for grandma's and CSR's as well (the baby was napping). The paramedics came in and were able to get her up off the floor. They took her to the hospital to get checked out (they were so wonderful to grandma, CSR and me, I am DEFINITELY supporting the EMS levy). I was left to figure out what to do with the boys. I couldn't get a hold of Tyler. But my friend Suzanne called in the middle of the chaos and said she'd be right over to pick up the boys. But CSR refused to get in her car and was throwing a MAJOR tantrum. Mortifying. Fortunately, T. pulled up and took over with the kids. I rushed to the hospital. She was being x-rayed when I got there. A nurse wanted grandma's medical history-- which turns out to be very minimal-- I guess that's why she's made it to 99. Doctor said her CT scan showed no problems inside her noggin but she dislocated her shoulder and that he would reset it once the anesthesiologist got there. She had to be sedated with some funky drug that would essentially make her forget about the reset-- which is a good thing because it was quite something to watch. I had to turn away, it got to be too much. Doctor said it was a 1 in 50,000 case in difficulty in getting her arm back into its place. After another x-ray and getting fitted with a sling, they let us go home-- at 8:45pm, about five hours after the fall. Grandma kept asking me what happened to her. I am so grateful that it didn't turn out any more serious. As the week went on, grandma seemed more and more like herself. The fall left her with a black, swollen eye too but she wouldn't let me take a picture of it. I told her it looked like she got in a street fight. When she laughed at that, I relaxed-- just a little.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, Karen, I am so sorry this happened and so grateful she is well. What a gene pool you have and what a dynamo you are for having two little ones and a 99 year old in your care. God bless you all....

KarenK said...

Thanks Katie. Having grandma visit was like having three kids, and I thought that before her fall. After, there were a couple of nights where I slept so little, it was like having a newborn in the house.